It was a little pricey since I used an entire large can of lump crab meat at $13.99. Next time I would probably only use half for this and the other half for a seafood pasta sauce to stretch out the grocery budget.
|Make your own stock. The essential beginning of any great soup.|
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup blond roux (1/4 cup vegetable oil and 1/4 cup flour)
3 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup cooked corn
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 pound lump crabmeat
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 tablespoon chopped green onion
16 crab claws, optional
1. Heat the butter over a low to medium heat in a 4-quart saucepot.
3. Add chicken broth, white wine and thyme. Bring to boil.
4. In a small bowl make blond roux by combining oil and flour and stirring until a smooth paste is formed.
5. Whip in roux until mixture begins to thicken. Whip in cream, reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook until cream is blended in and beginning to thicken.
6. Add salt, hot sauce and corn. Simmer 5 minutes.
7. Very carefully in order to not break up lumps, stir in lump crabmeat, parsley and green onions. Simmer until heated.
8. Divide into 4 large bowls. Garnish with crab claws.
Yield: 4 servings
*Original recipe here.