Friday, April 19, 2013

Custom Roman Shade Tutorial

One of my daughter's friends posted a project she did for her new house. Custom Roman shades. Pinterest is brimming with several versions of this concept, but you know me; have spray adhesive, will decorate. I needed a large 60" shade for over the bed. I've never worried about privacy much before since the window is high, but my new neighbors have a boat parked right outside our bedroom and when they are standing in the boat, they can look straight into our bedroom. 

I purchased the cheapest shade in that size I could find, $54 at Lowe's. Buy the cheapest thing that has good hardware. What it looks like isn't going to matter when we are finished.

Decor-cat. She is supervising all these projects.


I wanted the shade to fall, when fully closed just to the window sill above the new headboard. I measured the distance from where the rod would go to the sill, measured again, then measured 3 times on the shade before cutting all those cords holding those little sticks together.

This was the scariest part!


Once you cut all those cords you can see how easily the entire shade could come unraveled. The next step is to tie knots in all those cords, to secure them. This is a bit tedious and I wasn't sure about my knots. Perhaps you know a Boy Scout.


Once you've got the length you want, ON THE FRONT spray your adhesive and then lay your fabric down starting in the middle pressing toward the edges until it's secure. I did it in sections, starting at the top.



Make sure not to glue over the grommets at the top. 


 The little flap that hangs down to cover the hardware needs to be covered as well.



When you are finished it should look like this.


So far so good, but there's a bit of a rough edge at the top that needs finishing. I used a thick canvas binding for this.


Now you are ready to flip it over and fold the edges under to "wrap" the shade


This bedroom window isn't visible from the street, but if it were in front, I'd have put some white broadcloth on the back to give it a better look from outside. 


In my case, just covering up the rough edges was good enough. 


This is the finished product let down completely.


This is the way it looks in the daytime. I am very happy with the way it turned out!


The cat supervises production, but the beagle is in charge of quality assurance and the stamp of approval.









No comments:

Post a Comment