Well, hello there! I'm Michelle, welcome to the series, Beekeeping: 31 Days. If you've dropped by for a visit I'm guessing that you are considering getting into beekeeping or that you are concerned about some scary things you've heard about bees. You've come to the right place! I'm going to spend a month sharing how I got into it, basic things you'll need to know to get started, and cool stuff you can make to give away or sell once you get going.
Not interested in getting bees? No worries! There are lots of simple things you can do to help bees even if you don't want to have any yourself. There are some fabulous things to make from beeswax and honey too and I'll tell you how to find the stuff you need for that even if you don't want to harvest your own honey and wax. Even if you are afraid of bees or can't tell the difference between a wasp and a bee this is the place to be!
I'll be including a reading list and other resources to help you get started and I'll be reviewing a product or two that I love. Here's what the list of posts looks like right now, but be advised they are likely to change somewhat over the course of the month so I can keep things up to date with what is going on in real time.
Here's how the series works: This is the go to page for all the links. Even though they are listed here they won't "go live" or actually have a link to follow until the day of. The posts are subject to change depending on whether or not the girls do something fascinating. So let's get started and do this bee thing! See you tomorrow!
2. Basic Facts About Honeybees
3. Simple Beekeeping Glossary
4. 10 Things You Need to Start Beekeeping
5. What It's Really Like to Keep Bees
6. How to Get Over Your Fear of Beekeeping
7. My First Visit to a Bee Yard
8. How I Got Started in Beekeeping
9. Assembling Your Hive Part 1A Challenging Hive of Activity
10. Assembling Your Hive Part 2
11. Beekeeping Equipment
12. Purchasing Your Bees
13 Pests & Problems
14 Reviewing the Freeman Hive Beetle Trap
15 Inside the Hive: Pollen, Honey, Brood
16. How To Catch a Swarm of Bees and Entertain Your Friends and Family
17 Queen Bee War: Capturing Regina George
18. Swarms and Mating of a Virgin Queen
19. Honey Shed Tour
20. What Bees Do With Empty Space
21. Your 5 Most Asked Questions Answered!
22. Harvesting Honey 101
23. Harvesting Honey With an Extractor
24. Harvesting Honey Without an Extractor
25.Update About the Fall Honey Harvest
26. How to be Sure You Are Buying Real Honey
27. Rendering Beeswax
28. Super Simple Make-up remover and Moisturizer in One
30. Ways to Help Save the Bees
31.Putting it All Together