Monday, October 24, 2016
5 Practical and Sustainable Things to Start Doing for Yourself Today
1. Drink water. I know, I know, you've heard it a thousand times before. But do you want all those plump juicy hydrated cells to dry up and get depleted? I didn't think so. Drink. Water. About 8 glasses a day.
2. Eat an extra vegetable. Or an apple. If you are overwhelmed with where you are and how far you need to go then just start with one simple thing like an extra vegetable or piece of fruit every day.
3. Move around.You don't have to run a mile. Or walk one. Or join a gym. But move more today than you did yesterday. Get up during commercials while you watch TV. Walk around the block. Sweep the porch. Sitting will kill you, so get up and do something.
4. Meditate. You don't have to get all freaked out about it. But set a timer for 5 itty bitty minutes and focus on your breath. Or find a short guided meditation on Youtube and do it. Allowing your mind to rest offers all kinds of mental and physical benefits.
5. Create something. If that's too overwhelming then document something. Can't sew, write a song, or sculpt a masterpiece? No worries. Cook a meal, tell a story, rearrange rocks in the garden. Doodle, whistle, rearrange furniture. Plant something. Paint something ( a wall, maybe?) Photograph something. Start a journal, tell a story. If creativity seems overwhelming then document something you notice. The sky. A bird. A child's hand.
There you go. 5 Simple and sustainable things you can do today and every other day of your life to improve it just a little bit. Nothing earth shattering. Nothing too difficult and nothing you haven't heard before. But imagine the cumulative effect over a few weeks. Imagine the difference these small things would make compounded daily over a decade! A lifetime!
What is something you started doing sometime in the past that you are so glad you kept doing?